Superstitions that start with A.
- Carrying an acorn on your person will ensure good luck & longevity. Good Luck
Superstitions that start with B
- A black cat crossing your path would create a barrier of evil, cutting you off from God and blocking the entrance to heaven. Bad Luck
- A bat flying into the house. Bad Luck
- Never kill a butterfly, they carry the souls of the dead until their fate is decided. Bad Luck
- Getting out of bed left foot first. Bad Luck
- Placing a bed facing north and south brings misfortune. Bad Luck
- If a woman is buried in black, she will return to haunt the family. Bad Luck
- When people pull apart the dried breastbone of a chicken or turkey until it cracks and breaks, each one making a wish while doing so. The person who gets the long half of the wishbone will have his or her wish come true.
Superstitions that start with C
- A 4-leaf clover. Good Luck
- Stepping on cracks in the sidewalk. Bad Luck
- A cricket in the house. Good Luck
- If a clock which has not been working suddenly chimes, there will be a death in the family. Bad Luck
- You will have bad luck if you do not stop the clock in the room where someone dies. Bad Luck
- If you blow out all the candles on your birthday cake with the first puff you will get your wish.
- If you get a chill up your back or goose bumps, it means that someone is walking over your grave.
- It's bad luck to pick up a coin if its tails side up. Good luck comes if it's heads up.
- If you make a wish while throwing a coin into a well or fountain, the wish will come true.
- Counting Crows: One's bad, Two's luck, Three's health, Four's wealth, Five's sickness, Six is death.
Superstitions that start with D
- Putting a dress on inside out. Good Luck
- Dolphins swimming nearby a ship. Good Luck
- If you touch a loved one who has died, you won't have dreams about them. Bad Luck
Superstitions that start with E
- If your ear is burning, then someone is talking about you. To determine whether what they are saying is good or bad, remember this rhyme, - Left for love, Right for spite!
- Evil spirits can't harm you when you stand inside a circle.
- If an eyelash falls out, put it on the back of the hand, make a wish and throw it over your shoulder. If it flies off the hand the wish will be granted.
Superstitions that start with F
- For those who completely rake out a fire before retiring to bed. A few embers should always be left burning. Bad Luck
- To stir anything with a fork is to stir up misfortune. Bad Luck
- Fingers Crossed - By crossing our fingers, evil spirits would be prevented from destroying our chances of good fortune. Good Luck
- A frog brings good luck to the house it enters. Good Luck
- If the bottom of your right foot itches, you are going to take a trip.
- If a candle flame suddenly turns blue, there's a ghost nearby
Superstitions that start with G
- To break a glass bottle portends misfortune. Bad Luck
- Clink two glasses of alcohol to scare the demon out of the alcohol.
Superstitions that start with H
- To move into a new house during the months of April, July, and November. Bad Luck
- Itchy hands – Means you’ll soon be rich. Good Luck
- Finding a horseshoe is an assurance of good luck, but if you give it away or throw it away, your luck will leave you.
- A horseshoe hung in the bedroom will keep nightmares away
Superstitions that start with I
Superstitions that start with J
Superstitions that start with K
- Knock on Wood - It was believed that good spirits lived in trees, and that by knocking on anything made from wood, we could call upon these spirits for protection against misfortune. Good Luck
- Tying a knot in one's handkerchief is a means of warding off evil .Good Luck
- If a friend gives you a knife, you should give them a coin, or your friendship will soon be broken.
Superstitions that start with L
- Walking under a ladder – Unless your fingers are crossed - somebody will have an accident. Bad Luck
- A ladybug on you. Good Luck
Superstitions that start with M
- Looking at the new moon over your left shoulder. Bad Luck
- Breaking a mirror -7 years of bad luck, unless you take the pieces outside & bury them in moonlight. Bad Luck
- Never mend a garment while you are wearing it, or misfortune will follow. Bad Luck
- Mirrors in a house with a corpse should be covered or the person who sees himself will die next. Bad Luck
- A mirror should be covered during a thunderstorm because it attracts lightning.
Superstitions that start with N
Superstitions that start with O
- An owl hooting 3 times. Bad Luck
Superstitions that start with P
- A picture falling. Bad Luck
- If pepper is spilt, then you will have a serious argument with a friend. Bad Luck
- Always pick up a pin when you see one lying on the floor, for See a pin and pick it up All the day you'll have good luck; See a pin and let it lie Luck will surely pass you by.
- If you use the same pencil to take a test that you used for studying for the test, the pencil will remember the answers.
Superstitions that start with Q
Superstitions that start with R
Superstitions that start with S
- Putting a shirt on inside out – To turn it right side out is bad luck, leave it be! Bad Luck
- Throwing stones into the sea causes bad luck. Bad Luck
- If a person stumbles when leaving his house at the beginning of a journey, or trips or stumbles more than once during the course of the journey, it is advisable to postpone it. Bad Luck
- To pass anyone on the staircase. Bad Luck
- Saying God Bless You When Somebody Sneezes. Good Luck
- Meeting 3 Sheep. Good Luck
- Sleeping facing south. Good Luck
- To put on your stockings or socks inside out is an omen that you will shortly receive a present. Good Luck
Superstitions that start with T
- When you are talking to someone, and if you should both happen to say the same word or sentence at the same time, you must each clasp the other's little finger and wish. Then, if you do not disclose your wish, it will be fulfilled.
- If you bite your tongue while eating, it is because you have recently told a lie.
Superstitions that start with U
- Opening an umbrella indoors. Bad Luck
Superstitions that start with V
Superstitions that start with W
- Walking in the rain. Good Luck
- When a couple is walking down the street holding hands and an obstacle (like a lamp post) comes between them you say bread and butter...thereby keeping the union until the hands meet again on the other side of the lamp post.
- A winding driveway to your house can ward off evil spirits; keeping them from wandering into your home.
Superstitions that start with Y
Superstitions that start with Z
Know some more superstitions? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org